I love this soup!! I like to add shredded chicken and serve with really sweet, buttery honey cornbread. Taken from "The Feast of Santa Fe" by Huntley Dent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 6 cups water, plus additional as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint or 1/2 teaspoon thyme or 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4-1/2 cup canned diced green chiles
- 1 bell pepper, deveined seeded, and cut into chunks (I like red)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup lime juice (although I use more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Place first 7 ingredients in 3q pot and bring to boil over medium heat. Skim off foam, cover, and boil gently until lentils are soft. Between 30 and 60 minutes.
- 2Place green chilies and 1c of soup into food processor and puree. Return to pot. Wipe processor clean.
- 3Put bell pepper and carrot into processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to soup.
- 4Bring soup to boil for no longer than 1 minute (so bell pepper and carrot remain crisp). Taste for seasoning and texture.
- 5Stir in olive oil and lime juice.
- 6Warm through and serve.
Browse Our Top Lime Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Soup With Lime Juice
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 930.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 19.1 g