Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Originally my mother's recipe for lentil soup. I have tweaked it a bit through the years. It can easily be made with or without the kielbasa. This is a nice hearty soup for a cold winter night.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup smoked kielbasa
- 1⁄2 cup Italian pastina, pasta-cooked as directed
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, cheese- grated
- In large pot heat olive oil.
- Add crushed red pepper, onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, water, white wine, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Dice kielbasa into bit size pieces. Add kielbasa and cooked macaroni and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with generous amounts of pecorino on top.
I don't beleive i haven't rated this yet. I've made it so many times, and passed the recipe out even more!! Everyone loves it and it's so filling. It's great on it's own but i usually serve with rye bread & salad. Freezes great just when freezing don't add the noodles. I always add the noodles to the bowl, we don't care for mushy noodles. Thanks for the great,& easy soup.