Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 2010)
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is a delicious hearty soup - we really enjoyed it very much. The only change I made was to substitute potatoes for the parsnips as I did not have them and I left out the celery as DH is just not a celery fan. Otherwise, made as directed and it was sooo good. Made for PRMR, February, 2014.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, fully cooked and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 (5 ounce) package spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned (5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl.
- Stir in vegetables (onion - celery) and Italian seasoning; cook stirring until vegetables soften (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in lentils and the broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender (20-30 minutes).
- Stir in sausage and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in spinach, cooking until spinach is wilted (3-5 minutes).