1 hr 10 mins
A hearty and wholesome soup esp with an artisan bread I found among some old recipes and slightly adapted it. I'm sorry I don't know the original source. It is low in fat and easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 -2 celery rib, finely chipped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, halved chopped (seeds removed)
- 6 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf and 2 small bay leaf (ves)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk (optional)
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- balsamic vinegar
- 1Marinate chicken breasts in buttermilk for at least 60 minutes for a moist flavourful chicken(optional) Prior to grilling chicken brush with oil flavoured with garlic.
- 2Wash lentils in cold water drain and pick out discoloured ones.
- 3Heat the oil and saute onion carrot, celery until tender. then add tomatoes, and garlic and saute a bit longer.
- 4Add lentils, stock, tomato paste and marjorum.
- 5Bring soup to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 6Skim off foam as lentils cook.
- 7As soup cooks, grill chicken tenders or skinless/boneless breasts.
- 8When ready, ladle soup into bowls, slice chicken and fan out on top of soup.
- 9Parmesan and balsamic are for guest to sprinkle on the soup to their taste and really do add to the flavour of this soup.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Soup With Grilled Chicken(Or W/O Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.4
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 106.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 17.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth