Recipe by elle00
A hearty and wholesome soup esp with an artisan bread I found among some old recipes and slightly adapted it. I'm sorry I don't know the original source. It is low in fat and easy to prepare.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 -2 celery rib, finely chipped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, halved chopped (seeds removed)
- 6 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf and 2 small bay leaf (ves)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk (optional)
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate chicken breasts in buttermilk for at least 60 minutes for a moist flavourful chicken(optional) Prior to grilling chicken brush with oil flavoured with garlic.
- Wash lentils in cold water drain and pick out discoloured ones.
- Heat the oil and saute onion carrot, celery until tender. then add tomatoes, and garlic and saute a bit longer.
- Add lentils, stock, tomato paste and marjorum.
- Bring soup to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Skim off foam as lentils cook.
- As soup cooks, grill chicken tenders or skinless/boneless breasts.
- When ready, ladle soup into bowls, slice chicken and fan out on top of soup.
- Parmesan and balsamic are for guest to sprinkle on the soup to their taste and really do add to the flavour of this soup.