Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This recipe is from the Umbria region which is known for its small green lentils. You may use any small, green lentil if they can't be found. Cooks from the Abruzzo, add crumbled cooked chestnuts, tomato paste, marjoram, basil and bay leaves to their soup. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, minced (fresh)
- 1 celery heart, finely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked rice (optional)
- 1 cup cooked sausage (optional)
- 1 cup cooked chestnuts (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices country bread, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsps. of olive oil on medium flame.
- Add the parsley, celery and anchovies to it.
- Saute until the veggies are soft i.e. for about 8 minutes.
- Add the lentils and water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender i.e. for about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the rice, sausage and chestnuts and heat to serving temperature.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: You may not require salt as the anchovies are salty.
- Put a slice of toasted bread in each bowl.
- Ladle the soup over the top.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!