1/3 Photos of Lentil Soup With Ditalini (Aka, New Year's Soup)
1 hr 10 mins
This is a traditional New Year's soup in the Italian tradition (though it hits the spot on any cold winter's night!). Eat it at midnight along with some grilled Italian sausages and have GOOD LUCK the rest of the year! ;) This recipe can also be made totally vegetarian by omitting the pancetta/ham.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pancetta, chopped (or ham)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 (16 ounce) box ditalini shaped pasta
- 1 -2 teaspoon parmesean cheese, grated
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- 1Sautee pancetta (or ham) in olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes till it browns lightly.
- 2Add onion, celery and carrots, salt and pepper, and sautee till softened. Add garlic. Stir & continue cooking for a minute or two.
- 3Add lentils, herbs & salt and pepper, stir, and add about 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and partially cover, then lower heat to the lowest simmer possible. Allow to simmer quietly & peacefully for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook ditalini according to box directions until al dente. Drain.
- 5Add diced tomatoes to soup, stir and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- 6Stir in cooked pasta to soup.
- 7Ladel soup into bowls, drizzle a little olive oil over the top, sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper, and parmesean cheese. Eat it up with some crusty bread!
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Soup With Ditalini (Aka, New Year's Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 800.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 916.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt & freshly ground black pepper