Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This hearthy soup is very popular in my country, Chile; where the cold days of winter call for warm, filling dishes. It's usually served as a main dish ganished with either chopped cilantro & crumbled hard boiled eggs or grated parmesan cheese.
- 1⁄2 lb lentils
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 chorizo sausage, chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- chicken stock (optional)
- Boil lentils in 4 cups of water (or chicken stock), add bacon, salt & pepper to taste.
- and cook until tender. About 20 minutes depending on the age of lentils.
- Once the lentils are tender toss the bacon and put lentils aside. Do not drain.
- In a separate pot heat the olive oil and brown the onions until they are clear.
- Add chopped chorizo and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin & paprika and mix in well.
- Add cooked rice and mix in well.
- Mix in the lentils & rice mix and cook for another 10 minutes stirring often.
- Serve in bowl with the garnish of choice.