Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cooking Light. October 2003.
Make and share this Lentil Soup With Chard recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups dried brown lentils
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups torn swiss chard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons plain whole yogurt
- Sort and wash the lentils. Combine lentils, water, and next 6 ingredients (water through bay leaves) in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cumin; sauté 10 minutes or until browned.
- Stir onion mixture into lentil mixture. Discard bay leaves and parsley.
- Add chard to soup; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until chard is tender. Remove soup from heat.
- Stir in juice and pepper. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt. Yield: 6 servings.
This is wonderful - easy & light & comforting & healthy! What more can you ask for? Made for March Tag game in the Spain/Portugal forum.