Recipe by Atomic Girl Cooks!
Source: a very old issue of Canadian Living. A thick, flavourful, and inexpensive soup for the upcoming cold weather!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup split yellow lentils, washed
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 2 cups canned stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, heavy pot, brown beef lightly.
- Drain off fat.
- Add lentils, barley, water or stock, and beef broth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until lentils and barley are nearly tender (about half an hour).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add extra liquid to give thickness desired.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley, if desired.