Recipe by Gwen35
This soup is thick and flavorful and can be a lifesaver on those days before payday! It can be extended with more liquid; more veggies can be added or the beef can be replaced with sausage meat, ground veal or ground pork. It freezes and reheats well. Serve with good brown bread or biscuits. I have even tossed in a can of beans in tomato sauce. Good stuff!
Top Review by threeovens
I made this for supper this evening and it came out delicious! I doubled the amount of beef broth and used 1/2 the amount of tomatoes because I like that. I don't like thyme so I used oregano. I never would have thought to combine lentils and barley. Thanks!
- 3⁄4-1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup lentils, washed
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 small bay leaf, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick pot, brown beef lightly and drain off fat.
- Add lentils, barley, water or stock and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils and barley are nearly tender (about 1/2 hr.).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 1 to 1-1/2 hours
- Add extra liquid to give desired consistency. Salt and pepper generously to taste and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.