Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Giada De Laurentiis' Everyday Italian Comforting One Pot Meals episode freezes well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed (about 11 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and oregano to the pot. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juices from the bowl to the pot. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add the lentils. Cover and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Absolutely wonderful recipe. Very flavorful. I would not change one thing.
Really lovely recipe!! I didn't think I cared too much about lentils, but these cooked pefectly. It does freeze really well & is great for taking out of the frezzer for a quick & filling supper....just add crusty bread & a salad.
i liked this recipe. it smelled very nice all the way through. my other half did not care much for it but only because he has a thing about lentils. nice and easy. thanks for sharing :-)