Recipe by ashlynn08
This is adapted from mollie katzens vegetable heaven cookbook. This is extremely healthy and fat free.
- 2 cups green lentils or 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups minced onions
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup minced dried apricot
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 -4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the lentils and water in a soup pot or dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, cumin, and mustard, and continue to simmer, covered, until the lentils are very soft (about 15 more minutes).
- Add small amounts of additional water, if it seems to thick.
- Add the garlic, apricots, and salt, cover, and let it simmer for another 15 minutes or so.
- Stir in the vinegar, black pepper, and cayenne to taste (and correct the salt too, if necessary). At this point the soup will keep for several days.
- Serve hot, topped with extra dried apricots if desired.