Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another wonderful recipe from my favorite Middle Eastern deli. Recipe from the "Specialty of the House" column of the (Raleigh NC) News & Observer
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry green lentils
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs yellow onions, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 lb yellow squash, chopped
- 6 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 quarts water
- 3 bunches parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse lentils and pick them over, discarding any stones or debris.
- Place lentils in large stockpot and add potatoes, carrots, celery, squash, and garlic.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Add parsley, spinach, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Return to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes.