Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I never cared for lentils, until I found this recipe 20+ years ago. This is the only way I like them. Hope you do too.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large whole pimento pepper, drained and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up with a spoon
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- In a large kettle, cook onion, pimento, and green pepper in olive oil until soft.
- Stir in flour. Then add tomatoes, carrots, lentils, salt and water.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat for about 2 hours, until lentils and vegetables are tender. Serve with a good crusty bread.
This soup was very easy to make, and definately a good blend of flavors. I am looking for a way to jazz it up a little, since it is a bit bland for me. I may add some chillies, or maybe a little hot sauce. I served it up with Ciabatta Bread from Tish. I'll be making this again, thanks!