Recipe by Vegetarian Network Austin
This soup was brought to our January 2008 potluck by our President, Ken Jaffe. It was so delicious that it was requested to be featured in our February/March 2008 newsletter. He adapted it from Lorna Sass’ Complete Vegetarian Kitchen: Where Good Flavors and Good Health Meet.
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 large carrots, chunked
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, combine all ingredients except tomato paste, vinegar, and salt.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in a cup of the soup, and stir this mixture back into the pot.
- Stir in enough vinegar to perk up the flavors.
- Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.