Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Hearty soup, low sodium.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 lbs diced ham
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 -10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 dashes ground cumin
- 2 dashes dry mustard
- 2 dashes paprika
- 2 dashes thyme
- basil leaves
- oregano leaves
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- white pepper
- In a large stockpot over med-hi heat, add oil and press garlic cloves into oil scraping the pulp from the press. When the heat comes up to sizzle the garlic add the carrot, celery, mushrooms and onion.
- Stir to coat veggies and stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Cook 5 minutes. Add the ham. Stir to coat.
- Add the lentils and add enough water to cover mixture.
- Add the spices and stock; stir.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Skim off foam and discard. Slightly cover and simmer 1 hour or until carrots are fork tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Ladle into large bowl and enjoy.
Very good! I used a ham bone that we had ham slices off earlier in the week. I also made it in the crockpot 1 hour on HIGH then 8 on low, worked out great. Made for *PAC Fall 2007* game