Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Just tried this one busy week-end as we had a- lot going on. Turned out we did't have this till a few days later. I think it improved the flavor.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (optional)
- Rinse lentils.
- Place lentils, carrots, celery, onion garlic, basil,oregano, thyme,& bay leaf in a crock-pot.
- Stir in broth,water,undrained tomatoes& paste.
- Cover& cook on low heat 12-14 hours on low or 6-7 on high.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in vinegar if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.
Very good, I also pureed the soup as jerry did. The only thing I will do differently is cook the carrots before hand
Great taste! The only thing I would change is to cook the veggies before putting them in the crockpot, with the other ingredients. I also used a handblender at the end to puree some of the soup(my preference).