Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Excellent thick soup for a winter's night, and there's no need for salad. Serve with corn sticks or Mexican cornbread. Very filling, very delicious.
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 ounce butter
- 8 ounces lentils
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes or 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken stock cubes (or granule equivalent)
- 2 -3 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- ham bones (optional)
- Peel and chop carrot and onion, chop celery.
- Heat butter in soup pot and add carrot, onion, celery.
- Cook, stirring until onion is transparent.
- Add bacon bones, lentils, undrained tomatoes.
- Crush tomatoes with a fork and add water and stock.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until lentils are tender as desired.
- Remove and discard ham bones.
- Season with pepper and stir in parsley.
Lovely flavor thanks!
Very nice! The majority of effort that goes into this recipe is simply chopping. The soup was very flavorful. I'm a vegan, so I omitted the meat and used smart balance instead of butter. I'd definitely make it again.
easy to prepare, which is what i look for these days. my family and i really enjoyed it!