Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Excellent thick soup for a winter's night, and there's no need for salad. Serve with corn sticks or Mexican cornbread. Very filling, very delicious.
- Peel and chop carrot and onion, chop celery.
- Heat butter in soup pot and add carrot, onion, celery.
- Cook, stirring until onion is transparent.
- Add bacon bones, lentils, undrained tomatoes.
- Crush tomatoes with a fork and add water and stock.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until lentils are tender as desired.
- Remove and discard ham bones.
- Season with pepper and stir in parsley.
Very nice! The majority of effort that goes into this recipe is simply chopping. The soup was very flavorful. I'm a vegan, so I omitted the meat and used smart balance instead of butter. I'd definitely make it again.
easy to prepare, which is what i look for these days. my family and i really enjoyed it!
Very yummy! Easy to make and great taste. I left out the celery and the chicken stock cubes and used 2 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups water for the liquid instead. I also added two stems each of fresh oregano and thyme that I had on hand. Great recipe that I'll use again for sure.