Excellent thick soup for a winter's night, and there's no need for salad. Serve with corn sticks or Mexican cornbread. Very filling, very delicious.
- Peel and chop carrot and onion, chop celery.
- Heat butter in soup pot and add carrot, onion, celery.
- Cook, stirring until onion is transparent.
- Add bacon bones, lentils, undrained tomatoes.
- Crush tomatoes with a fork and add water and stock.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until lentils are tender as desired.
- Remove and discard ham bones.
- Season with pepper and stir in parsley.