Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 lb lentils
- 1⁄2 lb bacon or 1⁄2 lb pancetta, diced
- 1 leek, diced,white part only
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts beef stock or 2 quarts ham stock (depending on your taste)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 1 ham bone or 2 large ham hocks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons white vinegar or 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 lb sliced kielbasa, cooked (optional)
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, diced (optional)
- Wash lentils and drain.
- In a Dutch oven fry bacon until golden.
- Add diced leeks, onions and carrots and cook until onions are limp.
- Add lentils, stock, celery, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- With a medium size grater, grate potato into mixture and add ham bone.
- Add optional ingredients.
- Simmer 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and ham bone; cut meat from ham bone and return meat to soup.
- Add lemon juice and serve.
- If soup is thicker than you would like add additional stock or water.
- Note: If using a bone in piece of ham or ham hocks with a lot of fat, it is best to cook the meat in the stock separatelyfirst, remove meat and reserve, and then defat.
- Proceed as above, adding meat back at the end.