Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 ounces meaty veal shanks, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces green lentils
- 6 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, course chop
- lemon juice
- Boil the lentils for at least 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions, garlic, and veal shank, stirring frequently.
- Add spices, lentils and water, bring to boil, removing scum from surface as needed.
- Partly cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add remaining 3 vegetables and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in cilantro and lemon juice to taste.