1/4 Photos of Lentil Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
We had this recipe made for us several years back when my twins were babies. We love it and eat it often, especially during the winter. Leftovers have even more flavor and it freezes well. I've made this with dried herbs or fresh. A lot of people turn their nose up at the sound of Lentil soup and they have been converted with this one!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 quarts water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 3 -4 ham hocks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 diced carrot
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (I prefer to use a .75 oz pkg of fresh basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1Rinse the lentils and place them in a soup pot.
- 2Add: water, ham bone, onion, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic,basil, oregano.
- 3Salt& pepper to taste.
- 4Cover pan and bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- 5After long simmer add the can of tomatoes (do not drain) and vinegar.
- 6Simmer for 30 minutes more.
- 7Remove bone and put any meat back into the soup.
- 8Adjust any seasonings to taste.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.3
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: