Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
A rich, hearty soup that cooks up in no time! Serve with a green salad and crusty bread, and you've got a complete dinner.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned tomato, finely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 6 cups beef broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oil in a 3- to 4-quart microwave-safe bowl, cover, and heat for 20 seconds on high. Stir in the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and heat for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring once during the cooking time.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and broth, and cook, covered, for about 4 minutes.
- Stir the soup, then add salt and pepper to taste. Cook 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Remove and let sit, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with the cheese on the side.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- To make this an even heartier soup, top with croutons or thin slices of French bread. Save time by buying prechopped vegetables for this soup.