Recipe by ceileann
This lentil soup is healthy, cheap and easy! You can add lots of different ingredients, depending on what you have on hand.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
Other Ideas for Add-Ins
- extra vegetables (peas, spinach or bell pepper)
- garlic powder or cumin or dried cilantro or curry powder
- 1 bay leaf (remove before eating)
- fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
Substitutions for tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup pasta sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a large saucepan combine lentils, broth, onion, tomato paste, garlic, cumin and vegetables.
- (If you like, you can saute the onion, celery for a few minutes first, then add garlic and cumin for another minute before adding the rest of the ingredients).
- 2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft, 30 to 45 minutes.