Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This would be good on a Cold winter day
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 large onions
- 1 lb lentils, washed (non processed)
- 1 ounce paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 carrot, cut into pieces
- 1 lb Polish sausage, cut into pieces
- Place ham hocks in large kettle and heat gently to render some fat.
- Add onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add lentils and carrot.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Add paprika,salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil,stir and cover.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for an hour or more.
- Reheat and stir.
- Again add water to cover and cook gently until lentils begin to disintergrate.
- Cook sausage in the soup and add thyme.
- Serve hot.