Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Hearty lentil soup that is easy to prepare and sure to please. Double recipe if feeding a crowd.
- 8 ounces green lentils
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium diced celery (4 stalks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium diced carrots (2 to 3 carrots)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, leeks, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 10 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, tomato paste, and drained lentils, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender. Check the seasonings. Add red wine and simmer. Serve.
I have made a similar recipe and I love it! I saute all my veggies in water instead of oil to make an even healthier dish.