Recipe by Golden Sunflower
Plain and simple, but delicious!
Top Review by Faith381
I just made this, and it is my first time to make lentil soup, or anything with lentils for that matter. I really liked it alot! I would have followed the recipe's suggestion to add extra broth if needed, except I was out of broth. It was very good, though, and very easy to make! It is also a healthy recipe, and even though I am now on a very strict medical diet, this is something I can eat. I will definitely be making this again!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil.
- Saute onions, carrots, and garlic over low heat (do not brown garlic), until tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Add the lentils and mix w/vegetables.
- Add the chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves and pepper. (no salt until later).
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes until the lentils are very tender. May need a bit more chicken stock, if too thick.
- Remove bay leaf, taste and add salt if needed.
- At this point you may want to puree half of the soup to create more of a creamy texture. I prefer to keep them the way they are.
- Serve with hot and crunchy French bread and a sprinkling of grated Romano cheese!