Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Simple, inexpensive, comforting, and tasty.
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils (dry)
- 3 onions (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves (mashed and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery (chopped, including some leaves)
- 2 large carrots (sliced in small rounds)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (freshly ground)
- 1 quart tomatoes (diced)
- 4 cups water (or vegetable broth, more, if needed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- Wash and sort lentils.
- Put in large pot, cover with water, and bring to boil, then boil gently for 2 minutes.
- Cover and set aside for one hour.
- Sauté onions in olive oil, with salt, over low heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until soft.
- Add garlic and onions to pot of lentils.
- Sauté celery and carrots in olive oil until tender.
- Add to pot of lentils.
- Add cumin, tomatoes, water and pepper.
- Simmer gently for about 30 more minutes, or until tender.
- Serve with crusty bread.