Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this recipe on the back of the package of red lentils, and loved it!
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric or 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 bouillon cubes (optional)
- parsley (for garnish)
- Wash lentils. Add to water and bring to boil. Cover, cook for 1 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When lentils are tender, add dry spices and bullion (optional) to the pot.
- Sauté onions and garlic in a frying pan with olive oil will golden brown, and then add to soup.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and add lemon juice, stir,.
- Garnish with parsley,.
Good quick soup with the organic red lentils I used. I did double the ground cumin like another reviewer recommended and I'm glad I did so. I chose sweet paprika over turmeric and I had to use a canola olive oil mix because I was out of olive oil but recommend pure olive oil. I used a fresh lemon, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I chopped up flat leaf parsley for garnish and served extra wedges of lemon on the side. I did not add bouillon and it really doesn't need it. I served this as a light lunch with a tomato salad (fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley, sea salt & olive oil) and some crackers. I would make this again.
A satisfying and comforting lunch on a damp spring afternoon. Like BarbryT, my red lentils were fully cooked at 30 minutes and that was the point at which I added the onions and garlic. A good combination of spices here without much effort. Thanks for sharing. Made for *PAC - Spring 2008*.
This is very tasty! The onions and garlic and the last minute addition of the lemon juice just really make it. I had my doubts because I used itsy bitsy tiny red "gourmet" lentils (I recommend: don't) and they cooked up totally tender, tending toward mush, in about half an hour. But the spices are terrific and the end result REALLY good. Thanks for posting this nadia1! (P.S. I used smoked paprika.)