Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Gourmet Lentil Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth (2 large cans of swanson chicken broth)
- 3 large chicken backs
- 7 shallots
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper or 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of gourmet garlic (gourmet garden brand)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrot, cubed. (or you may use a bag of baby love carrots diced.)
- 2 cups lentils (16 oz bag)
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon
- Pour lentils into a large bowl. Cover with cold water. Set aside for 30 minutes. (or you may let them sit overnight to get them more tender).
- Place olive oil in the bottom of large stock pan.
- Slice and dice shallots. Sautee until translucent. Do not over cook.
- Add chicken broth, boullion, garlic and chicken backs to the stock pan. Cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes until chicken backs are done.
- Remove chicken backs. Allow to cool. Pick lean meat from the backs. Discard bones & skin. Reduce heat.
- Drain water from lentils. Add to stock pan.
- Cook for 45 minutes on low heat until tender. Do not over cook. Check periodically for tenderness. They should not be mushy.
- Add diced carrots & chicken. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Do not overcook the vegetables. They should be tender but not mushy.
- Serve 1/2 cup. Place one tablespoon of sour cream on top. Serve with fresh homemade Challah.