Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love soup and it's such an easy meal to make and healthy too! I had read numerous recipes regarding lentil soup and took what I learned from them, added my own touch and came out with this. It was outstanding! Served with some sourdough bread and it was all that was needed for a very filling meal. You can leave out the chili powder if you don't like it spicy, or add more if you do! This was thick and stew-like, if you like it a little more soupy you can add more stock to it. I always make my soup a day ahead of when we plan to have it for our meal. It always tastes better when it had time for all the flavors to meld together.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup purple onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups acorn squash, chopped
- 1 cup smoked ham, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- Rinse the lentils and set aside.
- Saute the onion, celery, carrots and squash in a large soup pot with a little olive oil. Add the oregano, rosemary, thyme and chili powder.
- When the onions and celery get soft, add the ham and sautee a little longer. (Just a few minutes).
- Add the vegetable stock, can of diced tomates (with juices) and bring it to a slow boil.
- As soon as it begins to boil, add the red lentils and the barley. Bring it to a boil again, then turn down to a very low simmer. You don't want the lentils or barley to burn to the bottom of the pot. Cover and cook for about 45-60 minutes until the lentils and barley are soft.
- Remove about 2 cups of the soup mixture and put it in a blender. Allow it to cool (about 15 minutes or so) and blend it until smooth, then return it to the pot.
- Serve immediately, or allow it to cool and then refrigerate it overnight and serve it the next day. If you wish, you can serve the soup with a dallop of sour cream or plain yogurt in top.