Recipe by WildLightning
Unlike standard, dull, lentil dishes, this soup has complex flavors. Very pungent. Sweet, tart and tasty. Should simmer all day. This is from the Moosewood Cookbook.
- 3 cups raw lentils (rinsed)
- 7 cups water or 7 cups stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer the lentils (rinsed), water or stock and salt, covered 3—4 hours.
- Steam, or saute in butter the minced garlic, onion, minced celery, chopped carrots. Add to lentil's after they've simmered 3-4 hours.
- Continue to simmer on low heat.
- Add thyme, oregano, pepper, tomatoes, red wine, lemon juice, molasses, and wine vinegar 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle extra vinegar and freshly chopped scallions onto each serving.