Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Food Network - just saw it now and thought I had better get it down. Looks great.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb lentils (approximately 1 1/4 cups)
- 11 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 -6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2⁄3 cup dried elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir.
- Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.