Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
These lentils take on a rich baked-bean flavor .. robust .. sweet .. yet savory. Not to mention the perfect softness & messiness that traditional Sloppy Joes are made of.
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 4 cups boston lager beer or 4 cups dark ale beer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 (15 ounce) cancrushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups beer. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.
- About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium sauce pan pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil (~ 7 minutes), until softened.
- Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
- Add the cooked lentils, and the the rest of the spices (except the maple syrup & dried mustard). Stir gently until just combined.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.
- Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait. I like to serve these open faced, with a scoop of sloppy joe on each slice of the bun.
I cooked the lentils is chicken stock instead of water. I also added Brown sugar, liquid smoke, red pepper flakes, extra chili powder and some worchestire sauce in the last 10 minutes. It tasted exactly like regular sloppy Joes
Does the calorie total include the whole wheat bun?
Very good! I messed up and added the mustard with the other spices because it was listed there but don't know if it mattered. Very easy and very filling meal. Served it open faced, with sweet potato waffle fries.