1/1 Photo of Lentil Sloppy Joes
These lentils take on a rich baked-bean flavor .. robust .. sweet .. yet savory. Not to mention the perfect softness & messiness that traditional Sloppy Joes are made of.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 4 cups boston lager beer or 4 cups dark ale beer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups beer. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.
- 2About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium sauce pan pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil (~ 7 minutes), until softened.
- 3Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
- 4Add the cooked lentils, and the the rest of the spices (except the maple syrup & dried mustard). Stir gently until just combined.
- 5Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- 6Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.
- 7Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait. I like to serve these open faced, with a scoop of sloppy joe on each slice of the bun.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Sloppy Joes
Serving Size: 1 (2094 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 771.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 12.0 g