Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very flavourful, even hard-core carnivores will find this adaptation very satisfying. It's my favourite comfort food, and it's very easy to eliminate the fat if you want.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (19 ounce) cans green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Club House "Lagrille" vegetable seasoning or 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 -3 cups mashed potatoes (your favorite recipe)
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic, sauté 1 minute more.
- Add lentils, ketchup, mustard, baebecue sauce, and other seasonings, mashing a little to thicken the consistency.
- Place lentils in casserole dish (8x8-inch), then peas, then potatoes and optional cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so, broiling for last couple of minutes to brown potatoes and/or cheese.
- I like this with ketchup on the side.
Really tasty, satisfying meal! I followed the recipe exactly, the only thing I would do different next time would be to not use Mrs. Dash. I cold really taste the citrus and it didn't quite work. I bet we would have liked the grille seasoning you listed better, or some other grill seasoning and a drop or two of liquid smoke. I loved the way the potatoes and cheese crisped up after broiling. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Fantastic!! This is amazing, we'll surely be making this again.
This is awesome! I've been trying to make inexpensive, high-protein meals that I can freeze, and this is just perfect for that. It reminds me of the veggie loaf frozen dinner that one of the natural foods companies makes, except this is fresh. Thanks Lisa!