Recipe by **Mandy**
Top Review by Wendy's Kitchen
I made these using the spring roll wrappers from the supermarket. I also in error left out the egg. We loved it - a healthy and nutritious meal served with salad. I used oil spray instead. Thank you for a lovely recipe that we will make again and again.
- 1 slice grainy bread (soy and linseed)
- 400 g lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons light flavoured olive oil or 1 1⁄4 tablespoons olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Process bread in a blender to make breadcrumbs. Place breadcrumbs in a large bowl with the lentils, carrot, egg, walnuts, chives, sauces and mix well to combine.
- Remove 1 sheet filo pastry and cover the remaining sheets with a damp tea towel. Brush or spray with olive oil. Cut sheet in half lengthwise and then turn so that both short ends of the two strips face you.
- Place 2 tablespoons of mixture on each edge closest to you, about 5cm from the edge and 1⁄2 cm from the sides. Even it out so that the filling is about 3cm wide. Fold pastry over filling and then roll up. Do this for both strips of pastry. Place on prepared tray and brush with oil. Repeat with remaining filling and pastry.
- Sprinkle over sesame seeds and bake for 25 minutes until pastry is lightly brown. Makes 10.