Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
You will enjoy this hearty, flavorful soup with it's interesting mix of textures.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian turkey sausage or 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from casings
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄8 cup fresh basil, minced
- heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; add onion, carrots, garlic, and fennel.
- Cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cooking, stirring to break up the sausage, about 3 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and stock.
- Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat to simmer.
- Add lentils and rice.
- Simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes, or until lentils and rice are cooked and soft.
- Add fresh spinach during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add basil when soup is finished.
- Correct seasoning to taste.