This salad improves with a day in the fridge! Adapted from the August issue of Gourmet magazine. I have added more vegetables.
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup French lentils
- 1 lb tomato, cored and diced
- 6 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped (or yellow)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or use balsamic vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh black pepper
- Bring the water, table salt and lentils to boil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are fully cooked, about 20-30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the hot lentils and serve. Enjoy!