Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salad improves with a day in the fridge! Adapted from the August issue of Gourmet magazine. I have added more vegetables.
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup French lentils
- 1 lb tomatoes, cored and diced
- 6 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped (or yellow)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or use balsamic vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh black pepper
- Bring the water, table salt and lentils to boil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are fully cooked, about 20-30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the hot lentils and serve. Enjoy!
Out of control AWESOME!!!! I was looking for a lentil salad and I saw one by Sharon123 and knew this was the one! Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for another grand slam Sharon! We are trying to eat less factory farmed meat and more of what we grow and I had a ton of Basil and dill, so this was it! The only "change" I made was I added two small cucumbers and then chilled the whole thing when it was done. So, so good!!!!!!!!
Very flavor salad; it was light and fresh as well as filling if that makes any kind of sense. :) I had some leftover grape tomatoes that I diced up and used red and yellow peppers. Served as a side dish to grilled chicken and was tasty mixed together as well. Made for ZWT9.
I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this salad. I was determined to find French lentils and had a hard time doing so, but it was so worth it. All the flavors worked beautifully together, and this dish was enjoyed both warm and cold. Delicious! Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT9.