Recipe by Papagayita
Delicious, summer salad that is good on its own, served over mixed greens or with rice. Vary it according to your pantry/desires.
- 2 cups french green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water (or stock)
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 beet, cooked & finely diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lentils, water, veggie bouillon, onion, garlic cloves, thyme, and bay leaf in a pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are almost tender. Drain excess water (some is ok) & discard thyme sprig.
- Make vinaigrette by combining oil, vinegar, mustard, salt pepper, mustard seeds, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasonings-add red pepper flakes or parsley to taste.
- Mix diced carrots, beet, celery, raisins and vinaigrette into lentils. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions, optional fresh parsley, basil, mint, thyme or cilantro.