Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty, filling lunch salad.
- 1 1⁄2 cups green lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 3⁄4 lb Italian turkey sausage link, casings removed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- red leaf lettuce
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 8 radishes
- Cook the lentils in boiling water to cover for about 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain, rinse with cool water, drain and set aside.
- Crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until browned, break up the sausage with a utensil; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the green and red peppers, celery, green onions, and parsley; add in the cooled lentils and sausage.
- To make the dressing: whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper; pour over salad; toss to coat.
- Line plates with lettuce leaves; spoon salad into the center; garnish with tomato wedges, eggs, and radishes.