Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Everyday Greens by Annie Somerville.
- 11 ounces green lentils
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, finely diced, about 1/2 cup
- champagne vinegar
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb, finely diced, about 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Vinaigrette: Whisk everything but the oil together in a small bowl. Slowly pour the oil in, and whisk constantly until emulsified.
- Salad: Rinse lentils and place in a large saucepan with the water and bay leaf and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Drop in the onions for 20 seconds and drain, then toss with 1 tablespoon of Champagne vinegar.
- Drain, then toss the warm lentils in a large bowl with the vegetables and vinaigrette. Set aside and allow to marinate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as the salad cools.
- Add mint and season with salt, pepper, and a splash of Champagne vinegar, to taste. Remove the bay leaf.
- Crumble the goat cheese over the salad and serve.