Recipe by Mizzy
a delicious and refreshing lentil salad. Add fresh mint if you can find some.
Top Review by sugarpea
This salad is just excellent. The lentils cooked more quickly than I expected so they were a bit softer than I would have preferred but no harm. The salad was still beautifully textured and deliciously seasoned. I used evelyn/athens' zaatar recipe #65710 since this recipe only calls for 1/2 tsp and I wanted to avoid spending money on a jar of seasoning that was going to lose its potency in a couple of months. The instructions don't mention the addition of the salt and bay leaf so I assumed they were to be added to the boiling lentils. Dh wants to make sure I tell everyone that the salad makes an excellent filling for tortillas warmed in the microwave. Any recipe that gets Dh to relish lentils is definitely a keeper. Thanks, Mizzy.
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk green onion
- 2 stalks celery, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons mint (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon za'atar spice mix
Directions See How It's Made
- cook lentils according to directions on bag, until tender (but not mushy).
- remove from heat and let cool at room temperature.
- Chop up all the vegetables, and crumble the feta.
- Combine all the salad ingredients together.
- In a small bowl prepare dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over salad, mix well and chill for a couple of hours before serving.