Recipe by Aunt Cookie
This is a delicious, simple, and inexpensive recipe. You can make it even easier by using the vegetables raw, rather than blanching them. I'd bet that regular lentils would work well in this, too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups French lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the lentils and place them in a medium saucepan; cover with water and add the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer (the original recipe said to boil for 15-20 minutes -- I find it takes longer to cook the lentils).
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil and drop the onion in for 15 seconds. Scoop out with a strainer and splash with vinegar.
- Drop in the carrot for 1 minute to blanch.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 1 tb vinegar, and spices.
- Drain the lentils when tender; remove the bay leaf and toss all ingredients together. Toss in cilantro before serving.