Recipe by Chef Kate
While you can certainly make this anytime, for me this is a salad for outdoors -- a picnic, a terrace. Wonderful served over mixed baby greens and eaten with good bread and a glass of wine. Prep time does not include time for cooling the cooked lentils.
Top Review by Maito
An excellent salad. I used already cooked lentils like another reviewer, so sautéed the carrots and celery to add to it. I used less mustard (personal preference) and lots less oil (probably a tablespoon) and cheese (maybe half the amount). We thought the goat cheese was the perfect match for the other ingredients. Can't wait to have a big heap of the leftovers over a baked potato tomorrow for lunch.
For the Lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups green lentils
- 3 cups chicken stock (I use homemade, unsalted)
- 3 cups water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and pierced with a fork (you can use more)
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 scallions, finely chopped, including green tops
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled (or, my preference, mild feta)
- mixed baby greens (or the salad greens of your choice)
For the vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and pick over lentils.
- Put lentils in a four quart saucepan with stock, water, garlic, herbs, carrots, celery and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, gently, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until lentils are soft but not mushy.
- Drain and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove garlic and bay leaf.
- Mix in scallions, parsley and capers.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, add to the lentils and mix gently.
- At this point, you can allow the salad to sit a bit at room temperature to allow the flavors to marry, or refrigerate, but it is best served at room (or picnic) temperature.
- To serve, place greens on individual plates and mound lentil salad on top.
- Sprinkle halved cherry tomatoes and crumbled cheese over the lentils.
- Bon Appetit!