1/1 Photo of Lentil Salad in Olive Oil With Egyptian Spices
This is called salata cadas and made with lentils slightly cooked with olive oil, garlic, and spices. Clifford Wright made this as a meze at the Tikka Grill, a restaurant on the corniche of Alexandria in Egypt. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed well
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a small saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat with the garlic. As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle remove from the burner, add the cumin, coriander, cardamom, and fenugreek, stir, and set aside.
- 2Place the lentils in a medium saucepan of lightly salted cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until al dente, about 25 minutes from when you turned the heat on(or a little longer if you want them softer). Drain and toss with the garlic, olive oil, and spices while still hot. Season with salt and pepper, toss, and arrange on a serving platter. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over the top.
- 3Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Salad in Olive Oil With Egyptian Spices
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 8.6 g