1/2 Photos of Lentil Salad, 4 Traditional Variations
Susiecat too's Note:
This recipe comes to me by way of "Olive Trees and Honey" by Gil Marks, a beautiful vegetarian world-view cookbook. See the bottom of the recipe, in the last few numbered steps, for the various traditions. The first version is Sephardic, a Jewish/Spanish variation, and is called "Salata de Lentejas."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb about 2 1/4 cups brown lentils or 1 lb green lentil, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice or 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley or 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1Combine the lentils, water and bay leaf in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender, 20-30 minutes.
- 2While lentils cook, make the dressing: mix all ingredients except oil. Slowly add the oil while constantly whisking, to create an emulsion.
- 3Drain lentils, and while warm transfer lentils to a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over lentils, and toss gently to coat.
- 4Just prior to serving, add onion and tomato.
- 5Ethiopian Variation (Yemiser Selatta): Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 chopped red or yellow onions and 2-4 seeded and minced hot chile peppers, and saute until softened. Add to the salad.
- 6Greek Variation (Salata Faki): Add 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese, 1/3 cup chopped green olives, and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint.
- 7Yemenite Variation (Salata Adas): Add 1 cup tahini and increase the lemon juice to 1 cup and the parsley to 2 cups. Using a large mortar and pestle, potato masher, or a food processor, mash the combined salad into a paste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Salad, 4 Traditional Variations
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.8
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 406.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 20.1 g