A wonderful alternative to standard lentils. Great flavor!
Make and share this Lentil Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- Place lentils in water. Bring to a boil. Cook until lentils are tender, yet still have some firmness (about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain & rinse to cool.
- Mix together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar, basil, oregano, garlic, pepper & 2 Tbs water.
- Add remaining ingredients to the lentils. Stir in the dressing.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow flavors to mix. Serve cold.
This is a great lentil salad that will be great to take to work for lunch and fits into my diet. I cheated and used Trader Joe's pre-cooked lentils and also decreased the olive oil by 1 T just to lighten it up a bit more. Thank you!
Super yummy! Loved all the flavors and textures in this salad. It really gets better the longer it chills. This makes a great lunch or side dish. I enjoyed this on a bed of baby spinach. Thanx for sharing!
I liked this recipe, but my kids and husband did not. They were not fond of the vinegar flavor. I might make it for our family bbq's since it is a cold dish that would not have to be refrigerated like a mayo based one would. I know the in-laws would appreciate it since we've had other dishes with vinegarette.