A delicious and satisfying side dish. Sometimes I add a few sprigs of chopped cilantro.
Make and share this Lentil Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- Bring lentils to a boil in a 2 qrt saucepan with 2 cups water.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim and discard ends from green beans; cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Slice green onions.
- Mince carrot, shallot and ginger.
- Drain lentils and set aside.
- Heat oil in 2 qt saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute green onions, shallot and ginger in oil 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice; saute 2 more minutes.
- Add 2 1/4 cups water.
- Stir in lentils, green beans and carrot; bring to a boil, cover pot and cook 15 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand 5 minutes off heat.
- Stir in salt and serve while hot.
It was really satisfying and a one-dish meal for me this afternoon. I used a combo of green, yellow and brown lentils(1/4 cup). It was very nice. Next time, I plan to substitute the water to cook the rice with vegetable broth(and omit the salt) for a richer dish. Thanks for sharing!
We enjoyed this and will be making it again soon. I did use canned cut green beans, precut matchstick carrots, and vegetable broth instead of water for the lentils. Very nice side dish or quick lunch.
Very attractive and doesn't detract from/try to compete with other dishes. I also think this would be a good base for rice salads.