Recipe by PanNan
A delicious and satisfying side dish. Sometimes I add a few sprigs of chopped cilantro.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
It was really satisfying and a one-dish meal for me this afternoon. I used a combo of green, yellow and brown lentils(1/4 cup). It was very nice. Next time, I plan to substitute the water to cook the rice with vegetable broth(and omit the salt) for a richer dish. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄3 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 8 green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup minced carrot (1/2 medium)
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring lentils to a boil in a 2 qrt saucepan with 2 cups water.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim and discard ends from green beans; cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Slice green onions.
- Mince carrot, shallot and ginger.
- Drain lentils and set aside.
- Heat oil in 2 qt saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute green onions, shallot and ginger in oil 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice; saute 2 more minutes.
- Add 2 1/4 cups water.
- Stir in lentils, green beans and carrot; bring to a boil, cover pot and cook 15 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand 5 minutes off heat.
- Stir in salt and serve while hot.