This Lentils Rice recipe is known as Mujadarah in the Arab countries. There is many different recipes for Mujadarah, this recipe is very easy to cook with little Ingredients, and besides being nutritious,it is inexpensive. This recipe is an excellent vegetarian dish. Mujadarah is can be served with finely chopped Tomatoes salad if desired. Se my recipe for Tomato Salad.
- Saute Onions with olive oil(stirring occasionally) until golden brown. Reserve 4 tablespoons of browned onions for garnish.
- Place lentils,water,salt,and black pepper in different saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add to lentils the uncooked rice,browned onions and cumin and mix. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Place Lentils Rice dish(mujadarah)in serving dish and garnish with 4 tablespoons of browned onions.
- Mujadarah is best when served with Tomato salad. See my recipe for Tomato salad.
Great dish - I've tried a few variations of this, thought this version, using veggie broth, is among the best. I thought there was going to be too much liquid, but since you cook it uncovered for the first step it was fine. In the second part when it's covered, I ended up adding another 1/3 cup of water and that's because I used brown basmati instead of white. Like others said, it's so simple and made with staple ingredients so a great one to know.
love this dish! i use pumpkin pie spice and the lentils are fragrant and delicious! i also caramelize more than 2 onions (usually 3-4), mix half into the lentils/rice and reserve the other half for garnish on the plates. i love having this with a bright, lemony salad (halved grape tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, tons of parsley, olive oil and fresh lemon juice).
I grew up on this but we did it a bit differently. Bulghur instead of rice and it was served with Laban (arabic yogurt) and sliced onions on top. We ate it with torn pieces of pita instead of with utensils. That was always big fun as a kid and now it's less to wash!