Top Review by DinnerBelle
This was great: a terrific mix of textures and colors and easy to throw together. I did double to quadruple all of the spices, so I used 2T curry, I t turmeric 2 t whole cumin seed and 1 t salt. And I added a minced green chile to the ginger/garlic for some heat. Final note: About 15 minutes is sufficient to cook the very small red lentils that I used. Thanks Katel for a great vegan meal!
- 1 large cauliflower head (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups water
- 14 ounces canned stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice (preferably Fragrant Basmati Rice With Apple Juice and Ginger #334802)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim cauliflower and cut into florets. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- To saucepan, add green onions, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add to pan: water, tomatoes with juice and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanswhile, rinse lentils under cold running water, picking out and discarding any debris or blemished lentils.
- Add lentils to saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add cauliflower florets and lemon juice. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes more or until cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice (Recipe #334802).
- Spoon lentil mixture over rice. Garnish, if desired.